Upgrading your cabinets or installing new ones can instantly boost your kitchen’s design and give it a fresh look. However, finding the right type of kitchen cabinets can be challenging. While there are seemingly endless cabinetry options to choose from, shaker kitchen cabinets from Houston’s custom cabinet makers should be at the top of your list.
What are shaker cabinets? Shaker kitchen cabinets have doors with beveled edges that consist of five pieces: two stiles, two rails, and a recessed center panel. It’s an incredibly versatile cabinet style that looks amazing in almost any kitchen.
Keep reading to see why shaker-style kitchen cabinets are so popular!
When it comes to durability and style, nothing quite compares to shaker kitchen cabinets. Skilled manufacturers make them with solid wood frames that can withstand the normal wear and tear of everyday household life. You don’t have to worry about the same issues you may face with raised styles like mission cabinets.
Many homeowners choose shaker-style doors because of their longevity. The base cabinets can last up to 35 years with regular use and little upkeep. Long after other kitchen components and appliances have stopped working, your cabinets will still be going strong.
The history of kitchen cabinets and designs is fascinating. In the 1700s, the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing (commonly known as the Shaker community) began making furniture that reflected their emphasis on living a simple, pure, honest life. Shaker furniture grew immensely popular over the years and is now synonymous with traditional kitchen designs.
Modern shaker-style furniture pays homage to America’s rich history. The iconic recessed panel doors were popular 300 years ago, they are popular today, and there’s no reason to think people will stop asking “What are shaker cabinets?” 300 years from now. Modern shaker furniture and cabinets are the go-to options for a timeless design.
If you could only use one word to describe shaker cabinetry, it would be simplicity. Shaker kitchen cabinet doors utilize clean lines, square edges, and high-quality materials. The simplicity of shaker cabinet designs offers a couple of key benefits:
- Shaker cabinets are less expensive: Shaker-style cabinets are less expensive than flat-panel cabinets because they don’t have as many components and features, helping reduce the cost of your kitchen remodel.
- Shaker cabinets blend in: Finding cabinets for your dream kitchen can be a challenge. The simple horizontal edges of shaker doors enable them to blend in with the surroundings and give a modern edge to your kitchen.
Various Finishes to Choose From
Working with a top-rated cabinet maker like Holmes Cabinet Specialties gives you access to many different finishes for your shaker-style cabinets. Our team can help you pick the ideal option and work with you throughout the crafting process to ensure that you love the final results.
Here are a few cabinet finishes to help improve your kitchen’s appearance:
- Painted finish: Painting your shaker doors is a great way to make the inset panel look sharp and match your kitchen’s color scheme. White shaker cabinets and black shaker cabinets are an excellent shaker design for modern kitchens.
- Burnished finish: Another popular finishing option for shaker-style cabinets is burnishing. Burnished and stained shaker cabinets provide a more aged look, bringing out the natural textures of real wood.
- Polyurethane finish: Polyurethane finish is non-toxic and safe to use on shaker cabinets to enhance the solid wood. Using a partial overlay on a shaker-style door will give it a rustic finish that looks fantastic with particular kitchen designs.
- Thermofoil finish: Thermofoil is a plastic coating that can make inset doors more durable and less susceptible to stains, spills, and scratches. Applying a partial overlay requires the right tools and know-how, so you’ll want to leave it to a qualified professional.
Finishes for shaker kitchens are just as essential as the general style. At Holmes Cabinet Specialties, we offer custom, high-end finishes with a one-year warranty on all our work.
Multiple Styles and Designs
If you’re wondering, “What are shaker cabinets?” you may also wonder, “Are there different types of shaker cabinets?” The answer is yes! Shaker cabinets come in a broad range of styles and designs to go with almost any kitchen design, including the following:
- Traditional: Installing shaker cabinetry with brass knobs and tubular bar pulls on the cabinet doors and drawer fronts are perfect for a traditional look. You can stain shaker cabinet doors for a more rustic look or leave them as is for a more comfortable, classic appearance.
- Modern: Minimalism is the key word for modern styles — uniform colors and simple designs. With shaker-style cabinets, you can achieve that modern look without sacrificing durability and functionality.
- Transitional: The transitional kitchen style falls somewhere between traditional and modern designs, combining the best of both worlds. You can install white shaker kitchen cabinets to match this middle-of-the-road aesthetic and easily customize them if you change your mind.
The kitchen is the heart of every home, so you’ll want yours to stay beautiful and fit your household needs. Shaker-style kitchen cabinets come in a wide variety of options, making it easy to install the right type of cabinet for you. Whether you’re more modern, traditional, or transitional, you can find a shaker cabinet style to match.
Get Shaker-Style Cabinets From Holmes Cabinet Specialties
Remodeling your kitchen or installing new cabinets can be exciting but also difficult. Even if you know how to do it, knowing what to do and where to start isn’t always simple. You may have a lot of questions like, “What are shaker cabinets?” and “Are they the right choice for my kitchen?”
At Holmes Cabinet Specialties, we’re here to help with top-quality cabinet services in Houston, Beaumont, Nederland, Port Neches, and the surrounding area. We take pride in every job and keep you informed from start to finish with photos and project updates. Our team arrives on time, respects your space while working, and always cleans up afterward.